Rochford Tower in Fishtoft, one of the 18 villages in the Borough of Boston. The tower is all that remains of a fortified house belonging to the Rochford family. Built in the late 15th century, it is constructed of English bond red brick with stone dressings to the windows.
The first floor level of the tower has traces of medieval wall paintings.
The tower can be seen from the road, but is private property, so please respect the privacy of the owners.
Above picture credit: Wellcome Library, London. Wellcome Images.
There were six candle makers in Boston in 1826:
Thomas Artindale in the Market Place
John Baily & Son in Strait Bargate
Robert Eno in Church Street
George Hardy & Co in High Street
John Sharpe in High Street
Joseph Smith in Market Place
Most candles were made from cheap animal fat called tallow. This process was very smelly, and tallow chandlers were usually located away from other buildings. There was some skill in producing candles that burned well and did not gutter or flare – this depended on the processing of the tallow.
The wicks were made twisted flax or cotton.
Plaster work in the over-mantle of the fireplace in the "library" (the room is currently used as a library, but probably this was not the room's original usage). It shows an arcadian scene of horses in a stable with a pasture seen through the open door. Idyllic pastoral landscapes became popular in the Georgian period in part as a reaction against the increasing industrialisation of the economy.
Please note that Fydell House is closed during the current health emergency.
Hobhole Drain, four miles east of Boston. Part of Witham Navigable Drains the canal runs for thirteen miles from Hobhole Drain Head to Hobhole New Pumping Station. Excavated in the first years of the nineteenth century the drain is a triumph of Georgian civil engineering. The Hobhole Sluice opened in 1806. The wonderfully named Court of Sewers was originally responsible for maintenance of the drainage system until responsibility was transferred in the 1930s to Witham Fourth Drainage Board (now based at 47 Norfolk Street in Boston). Hobhole Drain is no longer navigable.
This photograph was taken from Freiston Bridge (which is guarded by a Second World War pill box). Even on a bleak March day the landscape looks magnificent. The bridge itself is a listed structure, c1805 and probably designed by John Rennie.
Signal box controlling the West Street level crossing in Boston. Built in 1875 by the Great Northern Railway, this is the oldest GNR signal box still in use. Brick base with timber first floor signal room and Welsh slate roof (note the ornate bargeboard).
The Wash is the United Kingdom's most important estuary for wildlife. In 2002 the sea wall was breached in several places to create a nature reserve at Freiston Shore. From the sea wall the coast of Norfolk can be seen.
Freiston is one of the 18 villages in the Borough of Boston.
Note: nature reserves may be closed suring the health emergency.