Only a few years old, these neo-Georgian terraces in South End are a wonderful addition to the architecture of the town. Elegant door-cases, fanlight windows, even blind windows mimicking the effects of the 1696 Window Tax. Impressive chimney stacks (surely there are no coal fires in these apartments?).
There were eleven coal merchants In Boston in 1826:
Bemjamin Buckley in Skirbeck Quarter
Thomas Green in the High Street
Thomas Harwood in Wide Bargate
Thomas Hill in the High Sreet
M Lighton in Skirbeck Quarter
Robert and William Stainbank in Skirbeck Quarter
Edward Thompson in Norfolk Street
T & S Waite in South Street
James Waltham in Skirbeck Quarter
Edward Wilford in the Market Place
Charles Wright in the High Street
In the room currently called the Library there is an arched alcove with fine moulding. This indicates that the room was originally the Fydell House dining room, and the arched alcove would have contained a substantial and elaborate sideboard on which the family silver would have been displayed. An example from another house of the period can be seen here: http://www.rth.org.uk/local-history/brunswick-town/tour-of-house/dining-room
Pevsner is of the opinion that the Old Vicarage in Wigtoft is by Jeptha Pacey and dates from 1817, which would make the building Georgian. Attractive door case. It can be seen from the road but is a private residence, so please respect the privacy of the owners.
Boston has more Georgian buildings that any other town of its size in the country - but it would seem that there is an equal number of Georgian buildings in the rest of the Borough, waiting to be discovered!
Jeptha Pacey was a notable Boston architect - he is buried in the vault of the now demolished St Aiden's chapel in the High Street.
Founded as the Gee Wise and Gee Bank in 1864, this building exhibits all the confident ebullience of the Victorian age. Granite colonnettes with foliated capitals, panelled door with fanlight, keystones with carved female heads. The bank failed after ten years.
Photograph by Chris Kean.
Another photo montage from Will Norris (Instagram @will_norris_urbex ) - the former Lincan factory in London Road. It was a magnificent building and looks as if it would have converted easily into flats. Now it is a car park.
We have lost many Georgian buildings in Boston over the years, but we can also celebrate the creation of new structures worthy of the town's heritage. Sometimes derided as "pastiche", these buildings in a traditional style are very popular among the general population. 18 Main Ridge West is a wonderful example of neo-Georgian.
An indication that things are slowly getting back to normal is the resumption of the blue plaque programme by the Civic Group (a sub-committee of Boston Preservation Trust). The latest plaque, which went up earlier today, commemorates the history and significance of Fydell House - the home of Boston Preservation Trust. Planned before the pandemic, the plaque has been on hold until the lockdown was lifted.
The only external sign that there are cellars beneath Fydell House are two air bricks at the foot of the wall facing onto the terrace. However the cellars are very extensive and originally ran below neighbouring buildings. Descending steps below a trapdoor in the corridor just inside the back door, you enter a large space where height is limited to about 5 + feet, partly divided by walls and openings. The floor is mainly level concrete poured about forty years ago, with a large, mud-filled sump area in the north east corner, collecting river water which can enter at high tide.
The air is musty and cool, the lighting is dim, there are stencilled notices dating from the Second World War on one of the walls.
Moved twice, and heavily restored in the 20th century, Pescod Hall has lost a lot of authenticity but still has great charm as a reminder of Boston's wealthy medieval past. Originally a 15th century merchant's house. The current setting could be improved - it is surrounded by a bland and featureless shopping mall.