Pevsner describes this overmantle cabinet as "Chippendale-fret". It is obviousuly intended to display china, and there is a similar, narrower, cabinet in one of the corners by a window. These china cabinets are perhaps another indication that the room now called the Library was once the Fydell House dining room.
The tower of St Peter and St Paul church in Kirton is an enigma, Outwardly it is medieval, and the masonry does show considerable evidence of being re-used medieval, but the tower is in fact a construction dated to 1804 (and so must be considered Georgian). What seems to have happened is the tower was originally at the other end of the nave, then taken down and re-erected at the west end in 1804 by the architect William Hayward. Inside there is a fine reredos by CH Fowler.
The roundabout at the junction of Spalding Road and London Road was once a level crossing attended by a fine signal box - photograph from Will Norris (Instagram @will_norris_urbex ).
One of the most impressive of Boston's lost buildings was Irby Hall which stood where Irby Place is now located. Pishey Thompson reports: "a gallery with a fretwork ceiling, and on painted glass in the windows were several coats of arms of the Irbys; some impaled, others quartered with those of other families in this and the adjacent counties with whom they intermarried." Irby House now stands on part of the site.
Only a few years old, these neo-Georgian terraces in South End are a wonderful addition to the architecture of the town. Elegant door-cases, fanlight windows, even blind windows mimicking the effects of the 1696 Window Tax. Impressive chimney stacks (surely there are no coal fires in these apartments?).
There were eleven coal merchants In Boston in 1826:
Bemjamin Buckley in Skirbeck Quarter
Thomas Green in the High Street
Thomas Harwood in Wide Bargate
Thomas Hill in the High Sreet
M Lighton in Skirbeck Quarter
Robert and William Stainbank in Skirbeck Quarter
Edward Thompson in Norfolk Street
T & S Waite in South Street
James Waltham in Skirbeck Quarter
Edward Wilford in the Market Place
Charles Wright in the High Street
In the room currently called the Library there is an arched alcove with fine moulding. This indicates that the room was originally the Fydell House dining room, and the arched alcove would have contained a substantial and elaborate sideboard on which the family silver would have been displayed. An example from another house of the period can be seen here: http://www.rth.org.uk/local-history/brunswick-town/tour-of-house/dining-room
Pevsner is of the opinion that the Old Vicarage in Wigtoft is by Jeptha Pacey and dates from 1817, which would make the building Georgian. Attractive door case. It can be seen from the road but is a private residence, so please respect the privacy of the owners.
Boston has more Georgian buildings that any other town of its size in the country - but it would seem that there is an equal number of Georgian buildings in the rest of the Borough, waiting to be discovered!
Jeptha Pacey was a notable Boston architect - he is buried in the vault of the now demolished St Aiden's chapel in the High Street.
Founded as the Gee Wise and Gee Bank in 1864, this building exhibits all the confident ebullience of the Victorian age. Granite colonnettes with foliated capitals, panelled door with fanlight, keystones with carved female heads. The bank failed after ten years.
Photograph by Chris Kean.